Yesterday Jon Pipitone was giving me lots of suggestions for improvement. One idea that I really like is to add a filtering function, to remove all pages of a certain website. I don't think this would be too hard to implement, using a simple regular expression comparison while building the graph can easily filter out nodes of the chosen type.
The big issue to add is some sort of relevant ordering to the nodes. This is hard to do because I have to work around the limitations of JSViz. However, what I think I can do - for now - make root nodes appear in a sensible manner. Currently they spawn randomly across the screen, which isn't helpful. I can alter it so that root nodes appear in chronological order, either lined up vertically or horizontally. This would only help with at least a few root nodes, but it is better than nothing. For now, I'll try this and see if people think it helps.
Two recent features I've added: Quick Edit Title button and Live Updates. The Quick Edit Title button is a button on the browser toolbar to instantly open up the window for editing the title, it is basically a shortcut. Instead of getting to a site, thinking of a little note to leave, opening the graph, finding that node, right clicked and entering the new note, you can just click this button and do it fast. I've implemented Live Updates so that you no longer have to reload the graph any time you log a new site, it will update itself in real time.
I haven't gotten much feedback from posting my extension a few weeks ago, but then again there were only 10 downloads. Soon I'll be putting it up on my CSLab page, with all the latest features. I think before I do that I want to have some more reliable way to organize nodes (or at least root nodes) along with testing everything even more. And I have to write up another set of release notes - that's never fun though.
And finally, I found out that JSViz has a limitation for the number of edges come from/to a single node: 18. 18 edges are fine, but adding a 19th edge causes everything to catastrophically fail. The only reason I discovered this was because Ainsley tested her Trac plug-in on a large repository and it failed spectacularly, so I tested this by going to Wikipedia and opening every link on one page in new tabs until it crashed. My theory is that the minimum distance set for the magnetic forces can not be maintained once the 19th node is created, since there is not enough room for all of the nodes to evenly spread out around it. It could also be that the magnetic repulsive forces are so compacted and balanced that the 19th node throws the center node off center, causing it to rocket accross the screen. It has to do with the forces because a root node can have more than 19 edges attached to it. Here are so example files:
(Note: I'm providing it early with no release notes just to illustrate this edge/node limit per node, some features still are not completely ready [ Stop Animation still has bugs, along with some deleting issues]. If you have an older version of BreadCrumbs please go to your Firefox Profile directory and delete "breadcrumbs.sqlite" as that old database does not have a thumbnail column.)
Session file that illustrates the breaking [Copy into a text document and save as .session]
Session file that shows a root with ober 19 nodes/edges [Copy into a text document and save as .session]